Monday, December 22, 2008

I'd Lost That True Christmas Spirit

It seems that every year I become a little bit more of a scrooge. About Halloween (you know the time when you begin to see signs of Christmas all over the place) I grumble. I haven't been able to put my finger on the exact reason. I think it has something to do with the pressure of the season and the fact that Christmas has become so commercialized. Today I had a friend tell me that everywhere she goes with her little girl she hears "What do you want Santa to bring you for Christmas?" Very rarely do you hear people talk about "The Reason for the Season". This year was no different, October rolled around, everywhere I looked I saw Christmas, and I grumbled. But this year was different, I knew in my heart that this was not the way I wanted to feel. I prayed for a way to make me feel that True Christmas Spirit.

I read the book THE FORGOTTEN CAROLS several years ago and I remember the feeling that I had, I really felt different that year. I knew if I could see the show live that it would help me get that feeling back, so I tried to purchase tickets but they were all SOLD OUT! I was so bummed. Then on Saturday a good freind called and told me that she had purchased several tickets a couple of months ago for all of the Young Women in our ward and there were some that couldn't make it, so she offered me some of the tickets. I was so excited, especially because Saturday was the final night it was going to be playing in our area. All I can say is WOW!!!!! It was an answer to my prayer for my heart to feel the true Christmas Spirit again. I highly recommend seeing it live.
I went to the bookstore today and picked up a couple of copies of the DVD. So tonight Kevin and I decided to ask Mom and Dad if they would like to have Family Night with us and watch the video. I jokingly made assignments. I told them that if Kevin would be in charge of the prayers, Mom was in charge of the songs and Dad in charge of the treats, that I would be in charge of the lesson (the video). Although the video is not quite the same experience as seeing the show live, It was still a great "Christmas" Family Home Evening.

3 comments:

ShEiLa said...

I love that book. I went to see it many years ago... a perfect Christmas experience.
ToOdLeS.ShEiLa

Torrey said...

You are totally right! I have been so stressed lately and I shouldn't be feeling this way at Christmas time! It is time to refocus and remember why we celebrate Christmas.

I don't think I have ever seen the Forgotten Carols... I might have to borrow the movie from you sometime!

Audrey said...

I LOVE the Forgotten Carols! I saw it in St. George a few years back with the YW in our ward. It was so good, and your right, it does help you to be in the true Christmas spirit. Christmas is stressful but I found out this year if you don't go overboard everyone enjoys it more. Hope you guys had a great Christmas. Hope to see you soon! Love ya!