Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Come What May, and Love It!

I took the opportunity to read Elder Worthlins final General Conference talk given just before his passing. The title of the talk was "Come What May and Love It". Here is a link to the entire talk http://www.lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-947-9,00.html. The talk intrigued me and also touched me deeply. The idea behind it was to teach us that although we have no control over some situations that happen in our lives, we do have control over how we ultimately handle those situations.

Interestingly enough at church on Sunday I had the opportunity to hear the talk again. It was incredible to have the story be read in a large group of women and to hear all of the different opinions, stories, and comments about the talk. Many comments were made that I had not even considered when I first read it. I believe that at times we have this opportunity to hear advise and comments that will help us further as we search for answers. One of the most meaningful comments that I remember hearing that day was that we need not be embarrased or ashamed when life has thrown us some nasty curve balls. If we don't open up and share those feelings, and try to fix them on our own, how can we expect to receive help or advice from loving family and friends with a true desire to help us.
I have a friend who has gone through alot of trials this year. She is not only embarrassed about alot of it, she is also one of those people that feels like it is more important to put on a happy face all the time no matter what and try to fix everyone elses problems, believing that by doing so, her own challenges and struggles will somehow magically disappear. She struggles with showing her emotions to anyone so she spends alot of time crying in private. She doesn't want to bother anyone with her problems as she feels that there are so many who have greater struggles than her own. She believes that no matter how bad things are for her she doesn't have to look very hard to find someone with more trials than her own. But there is one great big problem with that thinking, how can she ever expect to be able to help those around her if she is falling apart internally, and unable to accept help herself.
Back to the talk "Come What May and Love It" it reminds us that everyone has adversity sometimes and we need to remember that its OK to get upset or even angry, but that we should not dwell on the negativity. We MUST find a way to get through the trials and that we are not expected to bear those burdens alone. We must find a way to see the lesson in each trial and strive to learn how to make a positive from a negative. I have really tried to put some of Elder Worthlins advice to work (especially the part about laughter).
I have thought alot about my friend, and how hard it is for her to open up and tell anyone that she needs help or that she just needs an ear to listen or a shoulder to cry on. I know that my job is to open up my heart and listen for the promptings that will allow me the opportunity to see such needs from those who are either to embarrassed, prideful, or just to scared to let anyone help. I need to continue to remind her that she is not alone.

1 comments:

ShEiLa said...

This was such a popular talk even before Elder Wirthlin passed away. I remember the week after conference even primary age kids taking about his words. Of course when he did pass away... I took this talk and a photo and read it to my 9 year olds again... what a wonderful message of hope and happiness. I am glad that Elder Wirthlin has been reunited with the love of his life.
ToOdLeS.ShEiLa